- I do believe Mama is officially pregnant! How do I know without a blood test or an ultrasound? She’s asking for love and letting me pet her again, with a passion 🙂 She is usually very aloof, but we learned last year that this changes dramatically when she’s pregnant. So, YAY! (Pretty sure Lucy & Ethel are pregnant, too, though they’re behavior hasn’t changed yet.)
- I’m in the process of organizing all of my seeds and am very excited about the new boxes I got to help me with the hundreds of packets I have! Who knew itty bitty seeds could be such a cumbersome things?!
- Forgive the horrible photo, but you might remember our discovery that Akuna was getting into the Chicken Coop and eating the eggs (and grain, probably). Well, apparently she still does it when we forget to close up the chicken run. What you see in the blurry picture above is her tail end as she jumped out of the coop and scurried away, knowing she was in trouble! Opportunistic stinker!
- We had a horrible cold snap come through last week that left us all shivering and begging for some respite! 4* may not be low for some, but we are spoiled here in NM. Single digits get us all in a tizzy! Hence the happily sun and dirt bathing chickens above. The spent hours over they weekend cleaning themselves off and warming the chill in their bones. I happily did the same 🙂
- Kitty is officially setting her clutch! I don’t have pictures ready yet (can you believe it?!) but will get some up here as soon as possible! If all goes well, we should have some sweet little ducklings at the beginning of March!
- We’re thinking about getting a few meat rabbits! Not to breed just yet, but to get used to and have around until we are ready. I’d love your (kind and open-minded) thoughts on this potential new adventure if you have any direct experience with such things!
- Still no movement on the possibility of a local farmer using our field and teaching us in the process. Part of me is hopeful and part of me feels like we’re already at capacity so adding this might be a bit too much, but we’ll see. It would be pretty cool to learn the skill of planting a field and watering it via the flood irrigation from the acequia, but it will all happen in time, I am sure.
- We’re planning to get some of our chicken eggs in the incubator next weekend and are studying up about it! We almost made the mistake of just jumping in on this one but decided we should do a bit of research first. Alas, my patience will be tested a bit, but it’ll all be worth the wait!
There you have it! A few quick snippets to get us all caught up…or mostly caught up! I’ve got a bunch of posts dancing in my head, just not the time to get them all down just yet, so stay tuned 🙂
I do hope your January treated you wonderfully and that February will welcome you beautifully!
I’d love to hear about your recent adventures, dreams, and schemes! Do tell, what’s happening in your neck of the woods?