Seeds (preferably native to your area), ~5 square feet of garden or yard space, garden gloves, permission
60 minutes + growing time
- Once you’ve gotten permission to plant some seeds and have reviewed where they will be planted, begin by assessing the soil. Wild flowers don’t require the same quality of soil as fruits and vegetables, but will do better with soil that is as weed and rock free as possible. This might require some weeding or removal of rocks.
- Once your soil is ready, follow the instructions on the back of your seed packets and sow your seeds.
- Water gently and leave alone.
- Wild flowers have an amazing ability to take care of themselves! If you live in a dry area, water them as necessary. If you live in a moist area, they just might be able to take care of themselves!
- Once they have matured and are flowering, take a few minutes each day to observe all of the insects that are utilizing the beautiful space you have created for them!
How easy was it to decide where to sow the seeds for your flower patch? How did you choose which flowers to plant?