Alright…here it is…our brand new chick brooder AKA Version #3! The chicks have been living in it for a couple of weeks now and it’s worked out wonderfully! I talked about our other two brooders here.
Tool Lady re-used the wood that was our original coop (it’s all just been sitting in the garage for the past year waiting for a new project) for our new and fancy chick brooder and turned it into two rectangular boxes:
- The first box is enclosed on three sides by particle board with a lid on top that opens with hinges.
- The second box is wrapped in mesh on three sides to allow for air circulation. This box gives the chicks the opportunity to scratch around and get some sunshine while still being completely safe from any random cats that would love to eat them for lunch!
- This box also has a heavier weight wire mesh stapled on top…this way, if the cats jump onto it, they won’t fall through into the run.
- In addition, there is a portion of the top that has a lid that lifts up on hinges. Under this lid is where the food and water hang, safe form the elements.
- The two boxes were then pushed together to form one long rectangle.
|Tool Lady put in two roosting bars in the first box so the Newbies
can practice roosting.
|Here is the second box. This is the box that is wrapped in
mesh and allows the chicks to scratch around “outside”.
Once all the sides were put on both boxes, we took them outside and gave them a coat of paint to protect the wood from the elements. Once everything was dry, we put the two pieces together and threw down some wood shavings in the enclosed part. We also hooked up the heat lamp to one of the braces in this enclosed box.
|Here you can see what the coop looks like when you lift off the top.|
|There is a second lid that covers a small portion of the mesh enclosed run.
Under this lid hang their food and water. The lid is also on hinges and lifts up.
Like I mentioned above, the two boxes each have one end that was left open. Those two openings connected to each other to form one long coop.
|Here you can see the end of the coop is a little bit shorter/at a slight angle
to allow for run off if/when we get any rain this spring.
I hope this all makes sense! Please let me know if you have any questions about how we put it together or how it all works 🙂